1. Business PlanWhile ideas are essential for a business, they aren’t enough to carry you to the launch site. You need to do some brainstorming about the kind of T-shirts that you want, whom you want them for, what’s in vogue right now, what colors you want, whether you’d like to get texts or graphic shirts- a thousand questions to ask yourself. The more you think and the more you plan, the better your T-shirt business will thrive.
More importantly, you need to find the right T-shirt supplier that will meet your requirements as far as size, color, and quality of fabric goes. You’ll find the right one only by getting T-shirts from various suppliers that measure up to your standards and testing them.
Read more: Create an Effective Business Plan For Your T-shirt Store
Getting all this down in writing will help you organize your ideas better. At least it will tell you why you want to start a T-shirt business and in case you lose your way sometime, your business plan will be a road-map of sorts. You know what your long-term and short-term goals are and this helps you to mentally prepare yourself for a long journey on an untraveled road.
2. Business LicenseYou need to determine the kind of company that you’re going to be and that will help decide the kind of permits that you would need to get started. Registering your business and getting a license are the first steps that you would need to take to legalize your trade. So get the forms, fill them up and ensure that you have a license before you actually begin to sell.
3. Original DesignsYou needn’t be an artist to create designs for your T-shirts- there are simple ways to do that! Before creating designs take a look at what other companies are doing- the designs they create, how they compare with each other and with your ideas. You need to be original and your ideas need to be unique. With the power of the Internet at your disposal, it should be easy to see what your prospective rivals are doing.
Another popular solution is our own product design tool. All your design and business related issues can be addressed with this. We recommend that you check out all the features at the link! You will be amazed at the wonderful designs that can be created and of course the additional features that are mind-boggling!
4. EquipmentYou may not need much in the way of equipment as you could buy T-shirts online in bulk. However, a computer with a graphics and cutting program and some software will come in handy. Graphics programs are used to create custom images and art forms using the most popular- CorelDraw and Photoshop. A cutter program will help create stencils that are required for screen prints. Investing in a printer- even a single one- will go a long way for starters- that’s if you can afford one. A Heat Press wouldn’t be a bad idea as you can transfer images from the printer to the T-shirts. Even a used one would do to begin with and you can get great buys from sites like Amazon or eBay.
5. Marketing MaterialsYou build trust and credibility if you have a website; also it’s a great way to market your brand. If you intend selling online, then remember to choose a catchy domain name. Consider your target audience and advertise where it’s likely to reach them- be it the social media, local magazines or in print.
Social media is a great tool to advertise your product and you can slowly build followers and create prospects with the right amount and right kind of interaction. Customers like to be pampered- offer discounts and other promotional offers and make them feel important. Use email too, to promote your brand.
6. Virtual StorefrontJust imagine- you can run a store without staff and space- a virtual storefront works 24 hours a day and is open and accessible to anyone in any part of the world. Opting to move to hosted e-commerce solutions could be the best thing for you, because it’s not very expensive and selling is easier. Having your own e-commerce website puts you in the know as to how online T-shirt markets operate. Using a virtual storefront such as CafePress or Society6 to sell your T-shirts cuts down on startup and operating costs.
Today, T-shirts are so ubiquitous and so versatile that they suit any occasion and can be worn at any time, anywhere. They have become symbols of freedom and comfort and in a sense define your personality. As they are affordable and easy to wear, the old and the young alike, don T-shirts. Starting a T-shirt business can’t go wrong if you do it the right way.